Monday, March 3, 2014

The Avalanche Game

Yesterday my friend and I went to the Avalanche game with my friend Charlie.  I play hockey and when he has an extra ticket he invites me.  This year his dads friend had season tickets on the glass, right next to the opposing teams penalty box.  His dad sat in the box with people that worked with the man that gave us the tickets.  Charlie and I walked around at the beginning of the game and I got 100 hockey cards and a bacon beer braut.  The people running the gave me a hard time because it was a "beer" braut so they need some kind of identification.  I told them I had left my I.D. in my other pants so they let me go.

We walked down and found our seats, they were really good because you could basically see the entire ice and watch the big hits right in front of your eyes.The game we went to turned out to be Military appreciation night so during warm ups the Avs wore Camo jerseys which were really cool. They played a whole bunch of videos from soldiers on tour and also had special things for the families. During the first period the Avs scored twice while the lightning from Tampa Bay score once. Both teams were playing really well and there wasn't any penalties yet.

Charlie and I walked down to get these really good fruit shish kabob that were covered in white and dark chocolate.  They were really good but were on the other side of the stadium so by the time we got back to our seats the puck was dropped. In the second period the Lightning scored twice making the score two to three but the game was really intense.  Finally the Lightning got a penalty with a minute thirty left in the game.  When the guy got in the box I realized this guy was huge, he was six and a half feet tall and was towering over the man who was working the box. The period ended and the Avs hadn't tied the game yet.

Five minuets into the third period the Avs scored and tied it at three a piece. But the Avs were not satisfied so ten minuets later the Avs scored again with a beautiful shot from my second favorite player, Erik Johnson, he was at the top of the circle and caught the puck turned around and shot it. The score was now four to three favoring the Avs, with two minuets left the Lightning pull their goalie and get an extra player.  Nick Holden a defense man backhanded the puck way over the head of the Lightning player and into the back of the open net of the other end.  With the score now five to three people started leaving.  The Lightning pulled their goalie one last time to get a goal and with 6 seconds left Paul Stasny stole the puck and shot it down into the wide open net. Although the score might have been six to three, it was still a great game to watch.      

1 comment:

  1. What excellent detail, Rowan. You gave a thorough depiction of the game. I like that you included the detail about military appreciation day. This gives a clear sense of when the game was and makes it stand out in time.

    ReplyDelete